Flea & Tick Prevention: Keeping Your Pets Safe from Fleas & Ticks
Spring and summertime in the Montebello, Lynwood, and East Los Angeles areas bring opportunities for pets to walk and play outdoors. During these seasons, they are more vulnerable to infestation by fleas and ticks. Taking parasite prevention measures can keep your pets safe and healthy indoors and outdoors.
Fleas and Ticks
Your veterinarian knows that dogs and cats are commonly affected by fleas and ticks. Fleas are tiny wingless parasites that infest the skin and coat of dogs and cats and feed on their blood. Ticks are small parasites that attach themselves to the skin of pets and suck their blood. Ticks also spread Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever, a potentially fatal disease.
Flea and Tick Prevention Tips
Since fleas and ticks can cause pets to become sick and ticks can transmit fatal diseases, these flea and tick prevention tips can help protect them. Your veterinarian may give you additional advice on parasite prevention and tips on safe products to use.
- Inspect pets regularly, especially after walks in the grass or woods or after they dig and scratch soil. Such areas are prone to fleas and ticks.
- For ticks, examine the coat, between the toes, around the eyes, inside the ears, and under the tail. For fleas, inspect the underbelly, armpits, hind limbs and other areas where the coat is thin.
- Comb pets regularly using a flea comb.
- Remove fleas and ticks immediately. Ticks can be removed with tweezers.
- Treat all infected and non-infected pets in your home.
- Use flea and tick products such as sprays, powders, topicals, shampoos, collars, etc., designed to treat and prevent infestation.
- Clean and treat areas inside and outside the home frequented by pets. Wash or get rid of infected bedding.
Getting at Casillas Veterinary Hospitals
If you live in the Montebello, Lynwood, or East Los Angeles areas, Casillas Veterinary Hospitals can treat your pets and advise you on parasite prevention. Visit us at 2437 W Whittier Blvd Montebello, CA 90640 or call (323) 726-1525 to schedule an appointment.